Dutch Water Line

WERK AAN DE KORTEN UITWEG

Location: 5159'7.73"N    5 9'34.83"O

Address:

Lange Uitweg 42A
3999 WL Tull ent Waal

This Work is a gun Battery.

The Work was probably made in the first building period of the "New Dutch Water Line, between 1840 and 1850.

Between 1876 and 1879, the earthwork was changed and the bomb free troop barracks building and gun garage was built.

The purpose of the Work was, to cover the inner part of the dike along the River "de Lek" and the "Lange Uitweg", that is a road, that formed an access through the Dutch Water Line,

The Work gave also flanking fire support to the "Werk aan de Waalse Wetering", the "Lunet aan de Snel" and fortress Honswijk.

The Work is the most northern part of the so called Position of Honswijk.
This is a strategic cluster of defense works.

Some fortresses and works were permanently connected by a special road, that had a protection wall at the enemy side. In that wall were also gun positions and shelters. This allowed troop movements and transport out of site of the enemy and more or less shielded from enemy fire.

Here the protected road (2) connects the "Werk aan de Korten Uitweg" (1), de "Lunet aan de Snel" (3) and fortress "Honswijk" (4).

At (5) is the pre-defense of the Position of Honswijk. It is a stretch of terrain (the bushy part), that stayed dry and is equipped with trenches, machine gun bunkers and concrete shelters.

This is the protected road starting at the "Werk aan de Korten Uitweg".

As you can see, there are several shelters in the earth wall.

The protected road was made in 1879.

This photograph is taken with telelens from behind the line and shows one of the group shelters in the earth wall of protected road.

The farm house and glass houses behind that (in front of the line) are built, after the Dutch Water Line lost its military function, after the Second World War.

This is the entrance to the "Werk aan de Korten Uitweg".
This is part of the troop barracks building.

Which is now privately owned and used, to support a mini camping.

The facade is in quite good shape, however the last rooms at both sides have quite big cracks in the ceiling.

This is an overview of the complete troop barracks building.

It has only one building layer and is very different from the typical gun battery troop barracks buildings, which have all a ground floor and a first story.

This is a troop room, now in use, as the bar room of the mini camping.
Here you see an old telephone.

At the beginning of the 20th century, most of the fortresses and Works were connected to the Telegraph system.

However in a later stage, only some seem to be connected to the Telephone system.

This is the narrow corridor, running around the gun powder room, as usual.
Here you see a lighting niche.

The fortresses and works were lighted by petroleum lanterns.

It was of course to dangerous, to step into the gun powder room with a petroleum lamp.

The gun powder room was lighted from the outside by petroleum lamps placed in these niches.

In the back of the niche, a very thick glass window shielded the gun powder room from the lantern.

Under the troop rooms is again a water cellar.
This is the back, of the ground covered troop barracks building.
This is the gun garage, now equipped with a modern door and windows.
This is the usual artillery shed.

This is quite a short one.

The sharp contours in the terrain have faded.

However gun positions and remains of traverse hills are recognizable.

This was also a gun position.
Terug naar Index kaart

Last revised on 31-12-2013