Address: Goilberdingerdijk 40
't Spoel is the old name of the area.
The Dutch word "Werk" means work, in case a defense work.
It is situated at the south side of the river Lek, which runs mainly from the east to the west.
In 1759 there was already a defense work on this spot, being a Redoute (a to all sides defendable earth work), which was demolished in 1785.
in the winter of the first war against the French, in
the winter of 1794-1795 there was a gap made into the Lek dike, to allow
the water, to flood the land, to activate the old Dutch Water Line defense
system against the French attack.
To prevent the French from closing the gap, a gun battery was made at the west side of the gap, near the location of the old Redoute.
The gun battery existed out of 10 cannon, protected by an earth wall.
The gun battery was called the "Dijkpost aan 't Spoel" (Dike post at 't Spoel).
On the layout at the left, you can see a Bastion shape at the river side, then the wall is going straight on, crossing the river dike and at the land side, curving back a 180 degrees. Also on this side, the wall is protected by a small moat.
The advancing French have reached this post. In January 1795 some fighting has occurred at this post.
Between 1816 and 1824 at this location, the Werk aan 't Spoel
was made, as part of the New Dutch Waterline defense system. A neat inundation
sluice gate was made in the dike and the purpose of the Work, was to
defend this sluice gate.
In 1848 is the work was revised, due to damage caused
by high river water and illegal retrieval of soil, by local farmers.
After a modernizing action 1876, the armament of the
Work consisted of:
- 6 canon, caliber 12 cm short.
This is the canon 12cm KA. KA means "kort
achterlaad" (short breach loading). Later on, this suffix was
omitted, because at this time all canon in use in the Netherlands had
become breach loading types.
Canon of 8 cm bronze on Parapet carriage.
The exact caliber was 8,4 cm.
Later on, there was also a steel version.
This bronze canon was made by Oerlikon in Switzerland.
This canon had also an effective range of 3 km.
De Coehoorn morar. A waepon, that was used from the
beginning of the 18th century and still in use at the end of the 19th
But now it was mainly used, to shot lighting balls.
Normally the Works and Fortresses of the New Dutch Water
Line were unmanned.
A fortress keeper took care of them in peace time.
This Work was manned during French- German war of 1870-1872, during WW1 1914-1918 and at the beginning of WW2, during the mobilization of the army in 1939 up to the 15th of May 1940.
In 1940 the Werk aan 't Spoel was defended by 3-2-32RI (3rd company-2nd bataljon-32th regiment infantry) under command of reserve captain G. Jansen (photograph), added was a section of MC-2-32RI (machine gun company) under command of sergeant Weimar. However, the Netherlands had to capitulate, before the Germans reached this defense work.
As indicated on the layout, the Work had 4 bomb free
buildings, 2 on each side of the dike.
WW2 the the army's explosive clearance service occupied the Work. In 1960,
by accident, there was a large explosion, that partly destroyed building B,
which was then demolished.
This is the artillery shed and 2 concrete infantry group
shelters type P are sticking out of the ground.
All shelters type P are marked with the year 1940.
They must be built in January/February 1940, because
in February 1940 it was decided to put up the main defense in the Grebbe
line (20km to the east), instead of the New Dutch Water Line.
|Bomb free building D, has the same layout as building A.|
An infantry group shelter type P.
The roof only is sticking out of the ground.
On the land side, against the dike, now an open air
theatre has been made.
Behind it is a big house, that was first the sluice keepers house and later the fortress keepers house.
An other P-type, also called Piramide.
The extension on the roof is not a chimney, but it is a channel for a periscope.
The Work was surrounded by a mote, of which is a large
This is a view from the soutwest.
|Back to Index Map||