52°17'35.85"N 5° 4'53.73"E
In 1589 the repair of a retrenchment on this location was mentioned, so
before that date, this was already an important strategic position.
In 1672 new earth works were made and and in 1673 a permanent earth work fortress was made with walls in the form of a "Hoornwerk", that are two half bastions at the front, with straight walls on the side and back side.
Drawings of 1726 and 1773 show double moats, with four "Beren" (see chapter Naarden for explanation of "Beren").
Despite it had become a formidable fortress, it was captured by the Prussians in 1787.
In 1845 a gun tower was made of two levels high, with gun emplacements on top (left, along the river).
In 1954 and 1955 the fortress area was made suitable for store of ammunition
in small buildings scattered over the fortress area.
Then also the earth walls were levelled.
In 2000, when these pictures were made, the fortress was used by the Dutch water defense and roads service and was closed for public.
This is a view from the north, with the fortress on the right.
Here you see a part of the gun storage building, build in 1885.
After these pictures were taken, there have been new plans for preservation of Fortress Uitermeer.
The province has done some restoration and preservation work and handed over Fort Uitermeer to an organization, that will develop cultural and small scale tourism activities on the fortress.
This includes also a bed & breakfast.
In 2006 the remains of the gun tower have been made visible again and are
consolidated to be preserved as they are now.
In 1878 the gun emplacements on top of the tower were removed and the
top was covered with earth.
In 1954 an attempt to demolish the gun tower was stopped and the tower was left as a ruin. The fortress area was the used for storage of ammunition.
The fortress was decommissioned in 1959.
|Back to Index Map||